In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Rampisham like this:
RAMPISHAM--popularly Ransom--, a parish in Beaminster district, Dorset; on the river Frome, 2½ miles W S W of Evershot r. station, and 5¾ E by N of Beaminster. Post-town, Cattistock, under Dorchester. Acres, 2,030. Real property, £3,029. Pop., 356. Houses, 83. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to Lord Auckland. A Roman pavement, 14 feet by 10, was found in 1799. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Wraxall, in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £444.* Patron, St. John's College, Cambridge. The church was restored in 1859, and contains a brass of 1523. The churchyard contains a curious cross, with sculptures which have occasioned much discussion, but are now nearly effaced. There are a national school, and charities £67.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Rampisham has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Rampisham and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Rampisham in West Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 03rd August 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Rampisham".