Place:


North Otterington  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described North Otterington like this:

OTTERINGTON (North), a township in Northallerton district, and a parish partly also in Thirsk district, N. R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the river Wiske, and on the Leeds and Northallerton railway, near its junction with the main line of the North eastern, 3 miles S of Northallerton. Acres, 782. ...


Real property, £1, 400. Pop., 66. Houses, 11. The parish contains also the townships of Thornton-le-Beans and Thornton-le-Moor; and its post town is Northallerton. Acres, 3, 625. Real property, £5, 821. Pop., 630. Houses, 139. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £180.* Patron, Christ Church, Oxford. The church was rebuilt in 1868, and is in the early English style. Charities, £4.

North Otterington through time

North Otterington is now part of Hambleton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Hambleton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about North Otterington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of North Otterington, in Hambleton and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13855

Date accessed: 19th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " North Otterington ".