Place:


Normanby  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Normanby like this:

NORMANBY, a village and a township in Ormsby parish, N. R. Yorkshire. The village stands 2 miles N E of Ormsby r. station, and 4 W N W of Guisborough; and has a post-office under Middlesborough. The township extends to the coast; and comprises 1, 343 acres ofland, and 355 of water. Real property, £7, 949; of which £4,060 are in iron-works. ...


Pop. in 1851, 195; in 1861, 2, 204. Houses, 397. The increase of pop. arose mainly from the opening of extensive ironstone works, and from the establishing of glass furnaces. Norman by Hall is a chief residence. Bricks and tiles are made. There is a national school.

Normanby through time

Normanby is now part of Redcar and Cleveland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Redcar and Cleveland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Normanby itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Normanby, in Redcar and Cleveland and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13834

Date accessed: 14th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Normanby ".