Place:


Nidd  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Nidd like this:

NIDD, a parish, with a small village, in Knaresborough district, W. R. Yorkshire; on the river Nidd, and on the Leeds, Harrogate, and Thirsk railway, at Nidd-Bridge r. station, 1¼ mile E S E of Ripley. Post-town, Ripley, under Leeds. Acres, 1,016. Real property, £2, 669. Pop., 141. ...


Houses, 25. The property is divided among a few. Nidd Hall and most of the land belong to the Rawson family. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £110. Patron, the Duchy of Lancaster. The church was rebuilt in 1868; consists of nave and chancel, with a tower; and is in the decorated English style. The churchyard contains a large stone burial-vault of the Rawson family.

Nidd through time

Nidd is now part of Harrogate district. Click here for graphs and data of how Harrogate has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Nidd itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Nidd, in Harrogate and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13831

Date accessed: 14th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Nidd ".