Newton Kyme  West Riding


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Newton Kyme like this:

NEWTON-KYME, a village and a parish in Tadcaster district, W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands on the river Wharfe, and on the York and Harrogate railway, 2 miles N W of Tadcaster; is a neat place, with several good villas; and has a station on the railway, and a post-office under Tadcaster. The parish contains also the hamlet of Toulston, and comprises 1,050 acres. ...

Real property, £2, 613. Pop. in 1851, 223; in 1861, 162. Houses, 32. The property is divided among a few. The manor of Newton, with Newton Hall, belongs to T. Fairfax, Esq.; and the manor of Toulston belongs to J. Brown, Esq. Newton Hall has long been the seat of the Fairfaxes; and was recently refronted, and adorned with a Corinthian colonnade. Remains of the ancient castle of the Barons de Kyme, the last of whom died in 1338, are in Newton Hall garden. Toulston Lodge is the residence of R. S. Carroll, Esq. Many Roman coins, analabaster urn, rings, and other Roman relics, have beenfound. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York. Value, £385.* Patron, T. Fairfax, Esq. The church is a picturesque old edifice; consists of nave, N aisle, and S porch, with ivy-clad tower; and has two fine memorialwindows. Charities, £32.

Newton Kyme through time

Newton Kyme is now part of Selby district. Click here for graphs and data of how Selby has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Newton Kyme itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Newton Kyme, in Selby and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 19th March 2018

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Newton Kyme ".