In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Puncknowle like this:
PUNCKNOWLE, a village and a parish in Brid port district, Dorset. The village stands 1½ mile from the coast, 5 S of Poorstock r. station, and 5½ S E by E of Brid port; and has a post-office under Brid port. The parish extends to the coast, and comprises 2,040 acres ofland, and 120 of water. Real property, £1, 763. Pop., 502. Houses, 99. The property is much subdivided. The manor, with P. House, belongs to Misses Frome. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £300.* Patrons, Misses Frome. The church is good, and has a tower and spire. There are a Wesleyan chapel and charities £6.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Puncknowle has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Puncknowle and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Puncknowle in West Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 11th March 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Puncknowle".