In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described North Poorton like this:
POORTON (North), a parish in Beaminster district, Dorset; 1½ mile N by W of Poor-stock r. station, and 3 S E of Beaminster. It contains part of Loscombe hamlet; and its post town is Poorstock, under Brid port. Acres, 664. Rated property, £639. Pop., 92. Houses, 18. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £75. Patron, Mrs. Jenkins. The church was rebuilt in 1864.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing North Poorton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering North Poorton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of North Poorton in West Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 27th April 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "North Poorton".