In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Piddletrenthide like this:
PIDDLETRENTHIDE, a village, a parish, and aliberty, in Dorset. The village stands on the river Piddle, near its head, 7 miles N of Dorchester r. station; and has a post-office under Dorchester. The parish comprises 4, 487 acres, and is in Dorchester district. Real property, £5, 382. Pop., 793. ...
Houses, 179. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £211.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Winchester. The church is ancient but good, and has a lofty tower. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and an endowed school with £15 ayear. The liberty contains also the parish of Mintern-Magna, and is in Cerne division. Acres, 6, 551. Pop., 1, 167. Houses, 253.
Piddletrenthide is now part of West Dorset district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Dorset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Piddletrenthide itself, go to Units and Statistics.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Piddletrenthide in West Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 28th April 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Piddletrenthide ".