Place:


Newbald  East Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Newbald like this:

NEWBALD, a village, two townships, and a parish, in Beverley district, E. R. Yorkshire. The village stands2¾ miles N N E of North Cave, and 4¼ S S E of Market-Weighton r. station; and has a post-office, of the name of North Newbald, under Brough. The townships are North Newbald and South Newbald. ...


Acres, 3, 960 and 1, 490. Real property, £9, 474 and £2, 752. Pop., 699and 211. Houses, 155 and 41. The parish consists of the two townships. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to J. Clough, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £300.* Patron, the Archbishop of York. The church is ancient, cruciform, and partly Norman, in good condition; has acentral pinnacled tower, and fine windows; and contains a curiously carved old font. There are chapels for Independents, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists, a freeschool, and charities £127.

Newbald through time

Newbald is now part of East Riding of Yorkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Riding of Yorkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Newbald itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Newbald, in East Riding of Yorkshire and East Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13792

Date accessed: 19th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Newbald ".