In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Piddlehinton like this:
PIDDLEHINTON, a parish and a liberty in Dorchester district, Dorset. The parish lies on the river Piddle, 4½ miles N by E of Dorchester r. station. Post-town, Dorchester. Acres, 2, 264. Real property, £1, 673. Pop., 414. Houses, 91. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged once to an alien monastery; and was given, by Henry VI., to Eton College. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £264.* Patron, Eton College. The church was builtabout the beginning of the 15th century. The libertyis conterminate with the parish.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Piddlehinton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Piddlehinton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Piddlehinton in West Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 21st October 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Piddlehinton".