Place:


Wallingfen  East Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wallingfen like this:

NEWPORT, a village, a township, and a sub-district, in Howden district, E. R. Yorkshire. The village stands on the Market-Weighton canal, 2 miles N E of Staddle-thorpe r. station, and 4¼ W of South Cave; and has a post-office under Brough. The township bears the name of Newport and Wallingfen, and is in Eastrington parish. ...


Acres, 250. Real property, £1,026. Pop., 348. Houses, 84. Most of the land, at the end of last century was a waste morass; and part of it, chiefly on account of its containing a bed of very excellent clay, is now highly valuable. The clay is dug to the depth of 30 feet from the surface, and is used for making bricks, tiles, and coarse earthenware. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists.—The sub-district contains also two other townships of Eastrington parish, three entire parishes, parts of two others, and an extra-parochial tract. Acres, 17, 129. Pop., 4,046. Houses, 875.

Wallingfen through time

Wallingfen is now part of East Riding of Yorkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Riding of Yorkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wallingfen itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wallingfen, in East Riding of Yorkshire and East Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13788

Date accessed: 17th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wallingfen ".