In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Pentridge like this:
PENTRIDGE, a parish in Wimborne district, Dorset; on Bockerly-ditch, adjacent to Wilts, 3½ miles N N W of Cranborne, and 9 S of Dinton r. station. It contains the hamlet of East Woodyates; and its post town is Cranborne, under Salisbury. Acres, 1, 764. Real property, £2, 125. Pop., 295. Houses, 56. The manor belongs to the Earl of Shaftesbury. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £214.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church was rebuilt in 1857.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Pentridge has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of East Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Pentridge and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Pentridge in East Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 27th August 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Pentridge".