Place:


South Stoke  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described South Stoke like this:

STOKE-SOUTH, a township and a parish in Grantham district, Lincoln. The township lies on the river Witham, 2 miles SSW of Great Ponton r. station, and 6 S of Grantham; is sometimes called Stoke-Rochford; and has a post-office, of that name, under Grantham. Real property, £1,414. Pop., 140. ...


Houses, 32. The parish contains also North Stoke and Easton townships, and comprises 5,270 acres. Pop., 394. Houses, 83. The manor, with Stoke-Rochford Hall, belongs to Turnor, Esq. Easton Hall is the seat of Sir M. J. Cholmeley, Bart. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £785.* Patron, the Bishop of Lincoln. The church is Norman and early English, and was restored in 1847. Charities, £40.

South Stoke through time

South Stoke is now part of South Kesteven district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Kesteven has changed over two centuries. For statistics about South Stoke itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of South Stoke, in South Kesteven and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13772

Date accessed: 26th March 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " South Stoke ".