In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described West Orchard like this:
ORCHARD (West), a parish in Shaftesbury district, Dorset; on an affluent of the river Stour, 3 miles N E of Sturminster-Newton r. station, and 5¼ S S W of Shaftesbury-Post-town, Sturminster-Newton, under Bland ford. Acres, 617. Real property, with East Orchard, £3, 269. Pop. of W. O. alone, 103. Houses, 24. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the rectory of Fontmell-Magna, in the diocese of Salisbury.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing West Orchard has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of North Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering West Orchard and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of West Orchard in North Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 01st August 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "West Orchard".