In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Okeford Fitzpaine like this:
OKEFORD-FITZPAINE, a village and a parish in Sturminster district, Dorset. The village stands 1½ mile W S W of the river Stour and of Shillingstone r. station, and 6 N W of Blandford-Forum; is sometimes called Fipenny; was once a market-town; and has a post-office under Bland ford. The parish comprises 2, 633 acres. Real property, with Shillingstone, £7, 311. Pop. of O.-F. alone, 685; Houses, 153. The manor belonged formerly to the Nicholes and the Fitz-Paynes, and belongs now to Lord Rivers. ...
A circular single-trenched camp is on Bunbury Hill, 1½ mile N W of the village; and several Britishcoins were found there in 1753. Bricks are made. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £491.* Patron, Lord Rivers. The church is decorated English; and partly restored, partly rebuilt, in 1866; and comprises nave, aisles, and chancel, with N porch and W tower. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, and poors land yielding £10 a year.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Okeford Fitzpaine has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of North Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Okeford Fitzpaine and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Okeford Fitzpaine in North Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 21st April 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Okeford Fitzpaine".