In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Netherbury like this:
NETHERBURY, a tything, a parish, and a sub-district, in Beaminster district, Dorset. The tything lieson the river Brit, 1½ mile S S W of Beaminster, and 4¼ N W of Poorstock r. station; and has a post-office under Brid port. The parish contains also the tythings of Ashe, Bowood, and Melplash, and part of the hamlet of Loscombe. ...
Acres, 6, 225. Real property, £15, 245. Pop. in 1851, 2,066; in 1861, 1,875. Houses, 419. The decrease of pop. was caused mainly by a decline in theflax and hemp trade. The property is much subdivided. The manor-house, formerly the seat of the More family, is now a farm-house. Strode House and Parnham Houseare chief residences. The land is very fertile; and iswatered by numerous streamlets, traversing wooded ravines. A considerable area is occupied by cider orchards. Limestone, very rich in fossils, is quarried. Two flaxmills were long in operation; and there is an iron foundry. The living is a vicarage, united with the chapelry of Ashe, in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £400.* Patron, the Bishop of Salisbury. The church is later English, in good condition, with a tower; and the chancelwas recently restored, and contains a monument to one of the More family. The p. curacy of Melplash is a separate benefice. There was formerly a chapel of ease at Mangerton. There are several dissenting chapels, amixed national school, a grammar-school with £140 a year from endowment, and charities £64.The sub-district contains also six other parishes. Acres, 20, 366. Pop., 4, 971. Houses, 1,051.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Netherbury in West Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 27th March 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Netherbury ".