In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Mosterton like this:
MOSTERTON, a village and a parish in Beaminster district, Dorset. The village stands on the river Axe, 1 mile S of the boundary with Somerset, 2½ SSE of Crewkerne r. station, and 3¼ NW by N of Beaminster; and has a post office under Crewkerne. The parish comprises 958 acres. Real property, with Cheddington and South Perrot, £5,923. Rated property of M. alone, £1,367. Pop., 380. Houses, 82. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to T. Hussey, Esq. Mosterton House was the seat of the Hood family; stands directly opposite the church; and was converted into an alehouse. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the rectory of South Perrot, in the diocese of Salisbury. The church was rebuilt in 1833, and has a tower. The old churchyard contains a tomb of the Hoods.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Mosterton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Mosterton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Mosterton in West Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 11th March 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Mosterton".