In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Moreton like this:
MORETON, a village and a parish in Wareham district, Dorset. The village stands on the river Frome, 1¼ mile N of a station of its own name on the Southampton and Dorchester railway, 7 miles E of Dorchester; and has a post office under Dorchester. The parish comprises 2,311 acres. Real property, £2,032. Pop., 283. Houses, 52. The property all belongs to H. Frampton, Esq.; and Moreton House is Mr. F.'s seat. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £220. * Patron, H. Frampton, Esq. The church is good, and contains a brass and several monuments. The charities a mount to £134, and one of them is shared by two adjacent parishes.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Moreton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Purbeck. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Moreton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Moreton, in Purbeck and Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 10th March 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Moreton".