Place:


Morton  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Morton like this:

MORTON, a township and a chapelry in Bingley parish, W. R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the Leeds and Liverpool canal, under Rumbles-Moor, 2 miles N of Bingley r. station; and contains the village of East Morton and the hamlet of West Morton. East M. is a considerable place; occupies the sides and summit of a hill; and has a post office under Leeds. ...


West M. is a cluster of houses on the N bank of the river Aire. Real property of the township, £8,733; of which £300 are in mines, and £20 in quarries. Pop. in 1851,1,902; in 1861,2,113. Houses, 398. There are several good residences, and Several worsted, cotton, and paper mills. The chapelry is more extensive than the township, includes a part called Morton-Banks, and was constituted in 1845. Pop., 2,432. Houses, 471. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £160. Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. The church is modern.

Morton through time

Morton is now part of Bradford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bradford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Morton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Morton, in Bradford and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13742

Date accessed: 22nd November 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Morton ".