In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Morden like this:
MORDEN, a village and a parish in Wareham district, Dorset. The village stands 3½ miles SW of Bailey-Gate r. station, and 5¼ N by E of Wareham; and has a post office under Blandford. The parish contains also the hamlets of Charborough, Sandford, and Sherford. Acres, 6,574. Real property, £5,168. Pop. in 1851, 1,018; in 1861,939. Houses, 194. The manor, with Charborough Park, belongs to Miss Drax. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £250.* Patron, Miss Drax. The church is ancient; consists of nave and chancel, with embattled tower; contains monuments of the Erle and the Drax families, and, in 1 867, was in bad repair. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a free school, alms houses, and some charity lands.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Morden has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Purbeck. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Morden and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Morden, in Purbeck and Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 30th June 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Morden".