In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Milborne St Andrew like this:
MILBORNE-ST.ANDREW, a village and a parish in Blandford district, Dorset. The villages tands on an affluent of the river Puddle, near the Via Iceniana, 5¾ miles N by E of Moreton r. station, and 8 SW of Blandford; was once a market-town; and has a post office under Blandford, a reading-room and temperance hall built in 1863, and a fair on 30 Nov. The parish contains also the tything of Milborne-Churchstone, and comprises 1,717 acres. Real property, £1,682. Pop., 327. Houses, 73. ...
The manor was given by Athelstane to Milton abbey; and passed to the Mortons, the Pleydells, and others. There is an oblong, double-entrenched, ancient camp, of 7 acres. The living is a vicarage, united with the vicarage of Dewlish, in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £234.* Patron, Lieut. Gen. Sir J. Michel. The church is ancient, has a Norman doorway, was recently restored, and contains monuments of the Mortons, the Pleydells, and others. There is a parochial school. Cardinal Morton, archbishop of Canterbury, was a native.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Milborne St Andrew has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of North Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Milborne St Andrew and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Milborne St Andrew in North Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 03rd May 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Milborne St Andrew".