In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Melcombe Regis like this:
MELCOMBE-REGIS, a parish in Weymouth district, Dorset; within Weymouth borough, and including the modern and larger portion of Weymouth town. Acres, 1,548; of which 90 are water. Real property, £33,794; of which £500 are in gas-works. Pop. in 1851,5,273; in 1861,6,498. Houses, 1,057. The increase of pop. arose from the extension of the Great Western and the Southwestern railways to Weymouth, from the establishment of a regular packet service to the Channel Islands, and from the constructing of Government defence works and of the breakwater at Portland. ...
The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Radipole, in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £298.* Patron, the Rev. E. Hollond. A separate charge, designated St. John's, was constituted in 1856, out of Melcombe Regis and Radipole; and the living of it is a p. curacy, of the value of £50, in the patronage of the Rector. Pop., in 1861, of the Melcome-Regis portion of St. John, 661; of the Radipole portion, 401. See WEYMOUTH.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Melcombe Regis has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Weymouth and Portland. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Melcombe Regis and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Melcombe Regis, in Weymouth and Portland and Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 27th May 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Melcombe Regis".