In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Melcombe Horsey like this:
MELCOMBE-HORSEY, a parish in Dorchester district, Dorset; 8½ miles WSW of Blandford r. station, and 9½ N E by N of Dorchester. It contains part of the hamlet of Hartsfoot-Lane; and has a post office, of the name of Melcombe-Bingham, under Dorchester. Acres, 2,151. Real property, £1,988. Pop., 208. House's, 43. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to Lord Rivers. Melcombe-Bingham belonged to the Turnbervilles; passed to the Binghams; and was the birthplace of Bishop Bingham, who died in 1246,-Sir Richard Bingham, who was at the siege of St. Quintin,-and George Bingham, the theologian. Nettlecombe camp occupies a square space of 20 acres, and commands a fine view. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £300.* Patron, Lord Rivers. The church has a low tower, and is good.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Melcombe Horsey has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Melcombe Horsey and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Melcombe Horsey in West Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 23rd July 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Melcombe Horsey".