In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Melbury Sampford like this:
MELBURY-SAMPFORD, a parish in Beaminster district, Dorset; 1¾ mile NW of Evershot r. station, and 7¾ SW of Sherborne. Post town, Melbury-Osmond, under Dorchester. Acres, 1,024. Real property, £3,208. Pop., 60. Houses, 10. The property belongs to the Earl of Ilchester. Melbury Hall is the Earl's seat; stands on high ground, commanding a fine prospect to the Mendip and the Quantock hills; is an ancient edifice, mainly rebuilt about the beginning of last century; and has an E front of weather-beaten stone, ornamented with Corinthian pillars. The living is a rectory, annexed to the rectory of Melbury-Osmond, in the diocese of Salisbury. The church is ancient, has a pinnacled tower, and contains monuments of the Brownings and the Strangeways.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Melbury Sampford has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Melbury Sampford and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Melbury Sampford in West Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 28th July 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Melbury Sampford".