In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Melbury Osmond like this:
MELBURY-OSMOND, a village and a parish in Beaminster district, Dorset. The village stands 2½ miles NNW of Evershot r. station, and 6¾ SW by S of Sher. borne; and has a post office under Dorchester. The parish comprises 1,192 acres. Real property, £1,704. Pop., 329. Houses, 73. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Earl of Ilchester. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of MelburySampford, in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £268. Patron, the Earl of Ilchester. The church was rebuilt in 1745, and has a tower. There are an endowed school with £15 a year, and charities £11.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Melbury Osmond has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Melbury Osmond and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Melbury Osmond in West Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 14th February 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Melbury Osmond".