Place:


Middleton Tyas  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Middleton Tyas like this:

MIDDLETON-TYAS, a village, a township, and a parish in Richmond district, N. R. Yorkshire. The village stands 3½ miles NNW of Scorton r. station, and 5¼ NE of Richmond; and has a post office under Richmond, Yorkshire. The township bears the name of MiddletonTyas-with-Kneeton, and comprises 3,154 acres. ...


Real property, £5,238. Pop., 531. Houses, 106.—The parish contains also the township of Moulton, and comprises 6,108 acres. Real property, £8,235. Pop., 775. Houses, 155. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to L. L. Hartley, Esq. Middleton Lodge, Morris Grange, Gatherley Castle, Moulton Hall, West Hall, and East Hall are chief residences. The parish is a meet for the Raby hounds. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £705.* Patron, the Bishop of Ripon. The church is very ancient, has a tower, and was restored in 1867. A handsome schoolhouse was built in 1860.

Middleton Tyas through time

Middleton Tyas is now part of Richmondshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Richmondshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Middleton Tyas itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Middleton Tyas, in Richmondshire and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13711

Date accessed: 14th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Middleton Tyas ".