In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Marshwood like this:
MARSHWOOD, a village and a parish in Beaminster district, Dorset. The village stands on the river Char, 5 miles SW of Beaminster, and 5 NW by N of Bridport r. station; and was anciently the head of a barony. The parish comprises 3,396 acreS; and its post-towu is Thorncombe, under Chard. Rated property, £3,074. Pop., 473 Houses, 102. The property is much subdivided. The Char's valley here bears the name of tlhe Vale of Marshwood; and is a very rough country, with cold stiff clay of the lias formation; but is noted for the large size of its oaks. There are two ancient camps. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Whitchurch-Canonicornm, in the diocese of Salisbury. The church is modern; and there is a village school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Marshwood has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Marshwood and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Marshwood in West Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 21st December 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Marshwood".