In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Marnhull like this:
MARNHULL, a village and a parish in Sturminster district, Dorset. The village stands 1 mile E of the river Stonr, 1¾ SE of the boundary with Somerset, and 3 N of Sturminster-Newton r. station; is large and irregularly built; and has a post office under Blandford. The parish contains also the hamlets of Burton, Keutisford, and Thornton. Acres, 3,751. Real property, with Fifehead-Magdalen, £11,390. Rated property of M. alone, £7,491. Pop., 1,444. Houses, 327. The property is divided among a few. ...
The manor belongs to John Hussey, Esq. Nash Court is the chief residence; has belonged to the Husseys since the time of Charles II.; was the birthplace of Giles Hussey, the ingenions painter, who drew by the mnsical scale; and contains some choice paintings of the old masters. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £800.* Patron, R. W. Kennard, Esq. The church is large and good, and has a tower. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Roman Catholics, and a parochial school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Marnhull has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of North Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Marnhull and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Marnhull in North Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 23rd August 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Marnhull".