In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Mapperton like this:
MAPPERTON, a parish in Beaminster district, Dorset; 2 ½ miles SE by E of Beaminster, and 3 NW by N of Poorstock r. station. Post town, Beaminster, under Bridport. Acres, 804. Real property, with North Poorton, £2,332. Pop., 92. Houses, 20. The property is divided among a few. The manor, with Mapperton House, belongs to H.Compton, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Valne, £170.* Patron, H.Compton, Esq. The church was rebuilt in 1704.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Mapperton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Mapperton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Mapperton in West Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 07th December 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Mapperton".