In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Manston like this:
MANSTON, a parish in Sturminster district, Dorset; on the river Stour, 2 miles ENE of Sturminster-Newton r. station-Post town, Sturminster-Newton, under Blandford. Acres, 1,323. Real property, with Hanmoon, £4,585. Rated property of M. alone, £2,599. Pop., 152. Houses, 28. The property is subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of SalisburyValne, £400. Patron, J. T. Leather, Esq. The church is ancient, with a tower; and the chancel was restored and beautified in 1869. There is a parochial school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Manston has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of North Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Manston and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Manston in North Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 16th January 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Manston".