In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Lytchett Matravers like this:
LYTCHETT-MATRAVERS, a village and a parish in Poole district, Dorset. The village stands on a hill, 3 miles NNW of Bailey-Gate r. station, and 6½ NW of Poole; commands a fine view; and has a post office under Poole. The parish comprises 3,329 acres. Real property, £4,259. Pop., 855. Houses, 186. The property is much subdivided. The manor belonged once to the Matravers family, and belongs now to H. D. Trenchard, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £551.* Patron, Wadham College, Oxford. The church is ancient but good; and contains a monument to Lord Matravers, and several other monuments. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, and national schools.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Lytchett Matravers has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Purbeck. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Lytchett Matravers and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lytchett Matravers, in Purbeck and Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 30th May 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Lytchett Matravers".