In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Lydlinch like this:
LYDLINCH, a parish in Sturminster district, Dorset; on an affluent of the river Stour, 3 miles WS W of Sturminster r. station. Post town, Sturminster-Newton, under Blandford. Acres, 2,446. Real property, with Caundle, Stourton, Wake, and Stock-Gayland, £8,445. Rated property of L. alone, £3,477. Pop., 404. Houses, 87. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Marchioness of Thomond. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £458.* Patron, F. W. Fane, Esq. The church is good; and there are a national school, and charities £82.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Lydlinch has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of North Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Lydlinch and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lydlinch in North Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 04th July 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Lydlinch".