In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Longburton like this:
LONGBURTON, a parish, with a village, in Sherborne district, Dorset; 2½ miles S by E of Sherlborne r. station. Post town, Sherborne. Acres, 1,025. Real property, £2,110. Pop., 336. Houses, 82. The manor belongs to J. S. Drax, Esq. Limestone for building is quarried; and the making of gloves is carried on. The living is a vicarage, united with the vicarage of Holnest, in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £275.* Patron,Cosens, Esq. The church contains monuments of the Fitzjames family. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, and a national school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Longburton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Longburton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Longburton in West Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 01st June 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Longburton".