In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Litton Cheney like this:
LITTON-CHENEY, a village and a parish in Bridport district, Dorset. The village stands 4 miles SE of Powerstock r. station, and 5½ E by S of Bridport; was once a market-town; and has a post office under Dorchester. The parish contains also the hamlets of Nether Coombe, Higher Egerton, Ashby, and Stancombe. Acres, 3,817. Real property, £ 4,713. Pop., 501. Houses, 99. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £800.* Patron, Exeter College, Oxford. The church is ancient and good, with a tower; and contains an ancient font, a monument of the Dewberry family, and several brasses. There are an endowed school with £25 a year, and charities £7.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Litton Cheney has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Litton Cheney and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Litton Cheney in West Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 24th April 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Litton Cheney".