In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Leigh like this:
LEIGH, a chapelry in Yetminster parish, Dorset; 2¼ miles SE of Yetminster r. station, and 6 SSW of Sherborne. It has fairs on 25 March, 1 May, and 3 Sept.; and its Post town is Yetminster, under Sherborne. Acres, 1,984. Real property, £3,033. Pop., 465. Houses, 93. The property is much subdivided. The liVing is a p. curacy in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £253.* Patron, the Bishop of Salisbury. The church is good.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Leigh in West Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 23rd March 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Leigh ".