In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Langton Matravers like this:
LANGTON-MATRAVERS, a village and a parish in Wareham district, Dorset. The village stands near the coast, 3 miles SE of Corfe-Castle, and 8 SE of Wareham r. station; and has a post-office under Wareham.The parish contains also Acton hamlet, and extends to the coast. Acres, 2,250. Real property, with Herstone and Wallace, £2,809. Rated property of L.-M. alone, £1,944. Pop., 733. Houses, 172. The property is divided among a few. The higher grounds command views of the Channel and the Isle of Wight. Stone is largely quarried. A curious oblong tumulus is at Spyway, ½ a mile S of the village. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £351. * Patron, J. B. Garland, Esq. The church had anciently a chantry, and was almost wholly rebuilt in 1838. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a national school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Langton Matravers has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Purbeck. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Langton Matravers and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Langton Matravers, in Purbeck and Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 27th September 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Langton Matravers".