In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Langton Herring like this:
LANGTON-HERRING, a village and a parish in Weymouth district, Dorset. The village stands on the coast, at Chesil-Bank, 5 miles NW of Weymouth r. station; and has a post-office under Weymouth.The parish comprises 902 acres of land, and 300 of water. Real property, £826. Pop., 241. Houses, 54. The manor belongs to W. Sparks, Esq. Fishing is largely carried on; and stone is quarried. There is a coast-guard station. The parish has suffered from inundations of the sea. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £126.* Patron, W. Sparks, Esq. The church is ancient but good; has a low square tower; and was recently enlarged.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Langton Herring has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Langton Herring and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Langton Herring in West Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 20th January 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Langton Herring".