In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kington Magna like this:
KINGTON-MAGNA, a village and a parish in the district of Wincanton and county of Dorset. The village stands near the river Cale, the London, Yeovil, and Exeter railway, and the boundary with Somerset, 3½ miles WSW of Gillingham r. station, and 6½ W of Shaftesbury; and has a post office under Bath. The parish extends across the Cale, to the boundary with Somerset; and includes the tything of Nyland. Acres, 1,891. Real property, with Buckhorn-Weston, £7, 920. Rated property of K. M. alone, £3, 807. Pop. in 1851, 652; in 1861, 552. Houses, 112. The property is much subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £532.* Patrons, Trustees. The church is ancient and was recently restored. There are chapels for Independents and Primitive Methodists.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Kington Magna has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of North Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Kington Magna and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kington Magna in North Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 31st July 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Kington Magna".