In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Horton like this:
HORTON, a village and a parish in Wimborne district, Dorset. The village stands 4½ miles SSW of Cranborne, and 6 NNE of Wimborne r. station; and has a post office under Wimborne.The parish comprises 2, 740 acres. Real property, £2, 201. Pop., 431. Houses, 95. The manor belongs to the Earl of Shaftesbury. Horton Park is a chief residence. A lofty brick tower, erected by Mr. Sturt of More-Critchell about the beginning of the present century, stands on a hill near the village, and command fine views of the surrounding country and the Isle of Wight. ...
A Benedictine priory, a cell to Sherborne abbey, was founded at Horton, in 970, by Earl Orgar. A circular trench, several barrows, and traces of a chapel are here. The living is a rectory, united with the p. curacy of Woodlands, in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £150.* Patron, the Earl of Shaftesbury. The church was rebuilt in 1720; and is a peculiarly shaped structure, with a spire. There is a free school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Horton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of East Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Horton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Horton in East Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 22nd October 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Horton".