In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hooke like this:
HOOK, a parish in Beaminster district, Dorset; on the river Froom, 2¼ miles NW of Toller r. station, and 4 E by S of Beaminster. Post town, Beaminster, under Bridport. Acres, 1, 237. Real property, with Witherstone, West Milton, South Poorton, Poorstock, and Nettlecombe, £8, 315. Rated property of H. alone, £1, 147. Pop., 247. Houses, 55. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Duke of Cleveland. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £100. Patrons, the Dowager-Countess and the Earl of Sandwich. The church is ancient, and was repaired in 1844.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Hooke has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Hooke and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hooke in West Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 29th November 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Hooke".