In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Holnest like this:
HOLNEST, a parish in Sherborne district, Dorset; 4 miles E of Yetminster r. station, and 4¾ S by E of Sherborne. Post town, Long Burton, under Sherborne. Acres, 2, 062. Real property, £2, 274. Pop., 147. Houses, 29. Holnest Lodge is a chief residence. The parish is a meet for the Charborough hounds. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Long Burton, in the diocese of Salisbury. The church has an embattled tower. There is a national school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Holnest has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Holnest and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Holnest in West Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 10th March 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Holnest".