In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hinton St Mary like this:
HINTON-ST. MARY, a village and a parish in Sturminster district, Dorset. The village stands near the river Stour, 1¼ mile N of Sturminster-Newton r. station; and has a post office under Blandford. The parish comprises 982 acres. Real property, with Sturminster and Bagber, £13, 205. Pop., 342. Houses, 73. The property is much subdivided. The living is a p. curacy, under the vicarage of Iwerne-Minster, in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, not reported. Patron, the Vicar of Iwerne-Minster. The church is good; and has a tower and some very old monuments. There are a Primitive Methodist chapel, a national school, and charities £9.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Hinton St Mary has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of North Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Hinton St Mary and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hinton St Mary in North Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 29th July 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Hinton St Mary".