In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hinton Martell like this:
HINTON-MARTELL, or Hinton-Magna, a parish in Wimborne district, Dorset; 4 miles N by E of Wimborne town and r. station. It has a post office, of the name of Hinton-Martell, under Wimborne. Acres, 1, 534. Real property, £2, 003. Pop., 357. Houses, 85. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Earl of Shaftesbury. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £331.* Patron, the Earl of Shaftesbury. The church is very ancient, and in tolerable condition. There is a national school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Hinton Martell has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of East Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Hinton Martell and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hinton Martell in East Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 27th May 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Hinton Martell".