In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hilton like this:
HILTON, a parish in Blandford district, Dorset; under Bulbarrow camp, 7½ miles WSW of Blandford town and r. station. It contains the hamlets of Aller, Anstey, and Hartsfoot-Lane; and its post town is Milton-Abbas, under Blandford. Acres, 2, 974. Real property, £3, 945. Pop., 833. Houses, 162. The property is divided among a few. Orchards and gardens occupy considerable space. Slate, coal, and bog iron abound; and some gold has been found. There are many mineral springs. Druidical remains, Roman urns and coins, early English coins, and other ancient relics have been found. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £.273.* Patron, the Bishop of Salisbury. The church is tolerable, and has a tower..
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Hilton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of North Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Hilton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hilton in North Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 29th June 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Hilton".