In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hermitage like this:
HERMITAGE, a village and a parish in Dorchester district, Dorset. The village stands 3½ miles NE of Evershot r. station, and 4 N by W of Cerne-Abbas; and has a fair on 26 Aug. The parish comprises 751 acres. Post town, Cerne, under Dorchester. Real property, £1, 011. Pop., 131. Houses, 31. The property is divided among a few. A pretty large spot of ground here is said to have been removed, in 1585, by the force of a subterranean wind, and carried to a considerable distance, retaining trees and hedges on it entire, and leaving a great hollow where it had been. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £64. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is good, and has a bell turret.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Hermitage has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Hermitage and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hermitage in West Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 23rd May 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Hermitage".