In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Haydon like this:
HAYDON, a parish in Sherborne district, Dorset; adjacent to Somerset, 2¾ miles ESE of Sherborne r. station. Post-town, Sherborne. Acres, 632. Rated property, £777. Pop., 131. Houses, 24. The property is all in one estate. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £160.* Patron, G. D. W. Digby, Esq. The church is good.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Haydon has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Haydon and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Haydon in West Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 01st June 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Haydon".