In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hazelbury Bryan like this:
HASELBURY-BRYAN, a parish in Sturminster district, Dorset; near an affluent of the river Stour, 4 miles SW of Sturminster Newton r. station. Post town, Sturminster Newton, under Blandford. Acres, 2, 359. Real property, with Stock Wake, £6, 077. Rated property of H. B. alone, £4, 497. Pop., 761. Houses, 185. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to G. Burdon, Esq. Most of the land is in pasture; and limestone is quarried. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £425.* Patron, the Duke of Northumberland. The church is of the 15th century, has a square tower; and, in part, was recently rebuilt. There are a Primitive Methodist chapel, a recently erected alms house, and charities £51. The Duke of Northumberland takes from this place the title of Baron Bryan.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Hazelbury Bryan has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of North Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Hazelbury Bryan and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hazelbury Bryan in North Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 09th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Hazelbury Bryan".