In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Gussage St Michael like this:
GUSSAGE-ST. MICHAEL, a parish in Wimborne district, Dorset; 5 miles W by S of Cranborne, and 6¼ NE of Spetisbury r. station. It includes Sutton hamlet; and its post town is Gussage, under Cranborne. Acres, 2, 882. Real property, £2, 435. Pop., 311. Houses, 57. There are extensive ancient earthworks. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £393.* Patron, Lord Portman. The church has an embattled tower, and is good.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Gussage St Michael has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of East Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Gussage St Michael and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Gussage St Michael in East Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 27th January 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Gussage St Michael".