In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Godmanstone like this:
GODMANSTONE, a village and a parish in Dorchester district, Dorset. The village stands on the river Cerne, 2½ miles NE of Grimstone and Frampton r. station, and 2½ S by E of Cerne-Abbas; and has a post office under Dorchester. The parish comprises 1, 154 acres. Real property, with Nether Cerne, £2, 204. Pop., 175. Houses, 41. The property is mostly in one estate. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Valne, £250.* Patron, the Rev. F. A. Baker. The church is partly Norman, chiefly perpendicular, with a tower; and was recently repaired.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Godmanstone has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Godmanstone and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Godmanstone in West Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 20th January 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Godmanstone".