In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Fleet like this:
FLEET, a village and a parish in Weymouth district, Dorset. The village stands on Fleet-water, 3¼ miles WNW of Weymouth town and r. station; is a coast-guard station; and suffered much damage in a great storm of 1824, when the sea broke through the Chesil bank. The parish comprises 845 acres of land, and 540 of water. Real property, £884. Pop., 160. Houses, 31. The manor belonged to Christchurch priory; and passed to the Mohuns and the Goulds. Fleet House is the seat of the Rev. G. Goodden. Fleet-water runs up from Portland roads inside the Chesil bank; and is 7 miles long, and a ¼ of a mile broad. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £66. Patron, the Rev. G. Goodden. The church was destroyed by the storm of 1824; and a new church, in the early English style, with apsidal chancel, open porch, and bell-turret, was built in 1862.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Fleet has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Fleet and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Fleet in West Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 20th January 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Fleet".